HSM Offshore Energy (HSM) is a major Dutch construction yard. Their scope includes engineering, procurement, fabrication, installation and commissioning of (1) Offshore High Voltage Substations for the offshore Wind market and (2) multi-disciplinary Oil & Gas production platforms, wellhead platforms, compression modules, living quarters, jackets and templates. For almost 60 years HSM Offshore Energy has successfully delivered integrated platform, module and jacket projects for the offshore energy sector. In total the company has over 100 FTE and a flexible staff between 100 and 250, depending of the stage of projects. The yearly turnover of HSM is over €100 million per year. The covered production facilities in Schiedam allow full indoor completion of all projects with optimum control of quality and planning. The yard – 75,000 square meters – features deep water open North Sea access, heavy duty load-out quay, a 270 meters jetty and own blasting and painting facilities. HSM is part of the Andus Group. The subsidiaries of Andus Group have one aim: Serving the industry. All companies work stand alone and independently with one characteristic in common: to be the best within their own specialization. Only on specific projects, group companies work together, combining their experience and resources. The company HSM is 100% project driven and their organization is set up accordingly. The Management team exists of the CEO, the Director of Operations and the future Commercial Director. All disciplines like Engineering, Finance, Legal, SHEQ, HR Business Development and Tendering are staff departments supporting each project. The company culture is best described as; straightforward, loyal, helping each other, long term vision and strategy, professional, open, transparent, technically oriented and entrepreneurial. People with a passion for engineering feel at home at HSM. Despite recent success and pride in the realized projects, no one is pretentious or takes future success for granted. HSM has an ambitious growth strategy for the coming years, amongst others by expanding internationally in e.g. the U.S. and Poland. As part of this strategy and as described above the Management Team of HSM will be expanded. That is why we are searching qualified and experienced candidates for the position of:
Who manages, drives and delivers growth for both the (offshore) Wind Energy and Oil & Gas markets, in line with the strategic plan and overall business goals with a focus on well-balanced risk mitigation. Supporting the current sales and future strategic growth opportunities. Managing the Business Development and Tender Management team. The Commercial Director reports to the CEO and is intended to be the successor of the present CEO.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Generation of a scalable and sustainable strategy to focus on future new business and the development of existing business. Provide the development of strategic direction and strategies that support delivery of the primary business growth goals and determine route to market opportunities to meet these goals.
- Specify sales and marketing plans and budgets by product/market combination and market segment. Translating plans into operational actions aimed at achieving the objectives.
- Build, maintain and strengthen strong and long-term relationships with existing and new customers and partners. Create forward-looking development plans by working with decision makers and understanding customer’s and partner’s key internal and external success drivers. Identify current and future needs of customers, utilizing existing relationships and sourcing fresh leads. Manage the Business Development and Tender Management team to develop the sales funnel and new opportunities.
- Negotiating with clients and partners regarding financial conditions, delivery times and other relevant conditions aimed at achieving optimum margins and conditions per project. Preparing, calculating, presenting, negotiating and closing of legally sound quotations and contracts.
- Manage the growth of the product and service portfolio of HSM and ensure it is promoted internally and externally. Develop and maintain products and technology to agreed specification, costs and timescales.
- Manage the day-to-day ‘sales’ workflow. Agree and regularly review the sales funnels/opportunity plans with the commercial team. Ensure tenders are identified as early as possible and are delivered on time, to budget and to specification.
- Manage and inspire team members by applying hands-on leadership. Coaching employees in the independent performance of their work. Stimulate cooperation and develop a positive constructive team spirit. Conduct periodic assessment interviews, identifying points for improvement and the need for education or training.
- Undertake budget planning and management including close interaction with engineering, production, purchasing, quality and health/safety.
- Comply with all Company policies and procedures. Ensure all HSSEQ rules and regulations are communicated and enforced and participate in promoting safety awareness and improvement.
- To represent HSM in a professional manner at all times, both internally and externally.
A talented commercial professional who naturally applies intelligent commercial creativity in doing business. With the mentality and skill to sense, create and convert commercial opportunities into solid results. In addition, the analytical and conceptual skillset needed in dealings in the (offshore) Wind and Oil & Gas industry.
Obviously, the right candidate possesses excellent social and communicative skills, the ability to establish new contacts and to maintain and deepen existing relations. As well as outstanding negotiation skills directed at obtaining results. Gains and maintains trust by being honest and ethical whilst strengthening client relations with a balanced focus on short- and long term results. Approachable and good in establishing and keeping good relations with people at various levels in organizations.
Possesses relevant general technical knowledge applied in selling projects in the (offshore) Wind and Oil & Gas industry. Has developed sound legal and contractual knowledge in dealing with and setting up agreements with joint ventures, consortia and other juridical structures. Has affinity and the skill in arranging financial structures for clients in close cooperation with internal financial departments. Is familiar with Logic and Fidic contracts.
The candidate is a result-oriented self-starter who is flexible and tactful while holding on to the set targets with a focus on risk mitigation. Independently sets out his/her commercial strategy. At the same time, he/she has a natural tendency for cooperative teamwork and participative thinking, since results are strongly influenced by group processes. Structured thinker with an action oriented mind, the drive to excel and the endurance to build up success. Hands on and down to earth mentality.
Education: BSc or preferably MSc degree in Business and/or broad related Technical discipline.
Experience: Minimum of 15 years international commercial management experience in project sales in the (offshore) Wind and Oil & Gas industry. Experience of project management.
Skills: Excellent leadership and communication skills, with an influencing, mentoring and coaching style – a team builder and motivator. Computer literate – good working knowledge of MS Office.
Travel: Ability and willingness to travel internationally
Languages: Fluent in Dutch and English, both verbal and in writing.